Paneer Cheese & Pepper Wrap aka Frankie's Wrap


I'm not usually a wrap person. I don't gravitate towards wraps, burgers or sandwiches at lunch. I feel like most of them end up being too dry and disappointing and I'd much rather have my carbs at breakfast anyway (bread and granola for the win!).


Having said that, a properly made wrap that is not dry and has lots of interesting things going on in the filling (as well as the wrap itself) is something that definitely piques my interest. I remember eating an eggy wrap called Frankie's Wrap in Bombay (I think?) and it was delicious - spicy, salty, buttery and sweet. All the flavors intermingling together to create some wonderful umami.
I tried to recreate that when I came across a recipe for something similar in one of my cookbooks I was reading, Fresh India by Meera Sodha. This recreation of the wrap totally hit the mark! I know now what I'll be packing for portable lunches if I ever need them.
Think of this wrap as a rolled fajita. I actually so overfilled mine the first time around, that I had to eat it as a taco :p


Recipe adapted from Fresh India, Meera Sodha
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
2.5 cups roughly chopped cilantro leaves and stems
1 large jalapeno, thickly sliced
Juice from 1 large lemon
1/2 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp sunflower oil
12 oz paneer, cut into long thin strips
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
3 large bell peppers, thinly sliced vertically
1 tsp red chili powder
1.5 tsp ground cumin
1.5 tsp ground coriander
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
3 eggs
salt and turmeric
6 whole wheat tortillas, 8" (or paratha if you're lucky enough to have them)



Procedure:
In a small blender, puree the cilantro, jalapeƱo, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Make sure it's uniformly pureed and then transfer to an airtight container.
In a 12" cast iron pan, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium high till shimmering and add paneer strips. Cook, turning frequently, till it gets a nice brown color and develops a crust, around 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.  Heat another tbsp of oil in the same pan and add onion and sauce for 7-10 minutes till soft and golden brown in spots. You might need to reduce the heat to medium if it's getting too hot. Transfer the onions to the bowl with paneer. Add another tbsp of oil to the same pa and saute peppers on medium high for 10-12 minutes till soft and golden brown in spots. Add back the onions and paneer and sprinkle in red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and 1 1/4 tsp sea salt and mix well. Cook for another minute to heat things through and transfer to a bowl. In a small bowl, beat the eggs with some salt and turmeric till well blended. Heat a nonstick pan and add 1 tsp oil. Add one tortilla and heat 30 seconds on one side. Turn over and pour 1/6 of the egg (essentially half of an egg) over it covering the tortilla well and spreading it a little so the tortilla edges have egg 'wings'. Cook for a minute till the egg is mostly sett. Turn and cook for another 30 seconds. The egg will puff up but deflate once it's plated, so don't worry. Remove the tortilla to a plate once done. Add 1/6th of the paneer-pepper filling and a sixth of the cilantro chutney and roll it to make a wrap. Enjoy!


Comments