Fig & Pistachio Frangipane Tarts


I'm so glad I had some tartlet dough in my freezer from the chocolate tahini tarts I made earlier this year. It made making these tarts super easy! I've been eyeing the fig tart recipe from Sweet cookbook since last year December when I got the book. I've been impatiently waiting for fig season and they're finally here! In fact, with the influx of summer fruits, it's kinda hard to decide what to bake next with them. I've been eyeing an apricot, walnut & lavender cake from Plenty More that sounds intriguing. I might give that a go this weekend.


The pistachio frangipane in the tart is amazingly delicious and I think it would go well in a regular sized tart pan as well (as long as it was doubled or even tripled) with some apricots or plums. I might give that a go someday too. I hope you're enjoying figs while they're still in season!

Recipe adapted from Sweet, Yotam Ottolenghi & Helen Goh
Makes 6 tarts

Ingredients:
6 pieces tartlet dough (from here: if you made this recipe, you should have 6 extra dough pieces), at fridge temp
45 gm shelled raw pistachios
17 gm almond meal
17 gm all purpose flour
65 gm butter
60 gm sugar
zest of 1 small orange
1 large egg
3 small figs, halved across the middle



Procedure:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Put the tartlet doughs into muffin pans and press them in lightly. Add a piece of parchment paper (or muffin line) ad add bean weights. Bake for 25-30 minutes till light brown. Once baked, take them out and set aside. Increase oven temp to 400 F.
Meanwhile in a food processor, blitz the pistachios till a fine crumb forms. But don't process it till it becomes a paste and starts to leak oil. Reserve about a tbsp of the fine crumbs and mix the rest with almond meal and flour thoroughly. In a medium bowl, microwave butter for 10-15 seconds until soft (a little bit melted is fine). Add sugar and orange zest and whisk with a fork until mixed through and little pale. Add egg and whisk it in well. Add the flour mix and mix it in. Using two spoons, pour the frangipane into the tarts till almost the brim. Add a fig half cut side up and gently press it in. Bake for about 20 minutes until the frangipane is browning at the edges but is still soft in the middle. Take it out of the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before using a thin knife to take the tarts out of the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle the reserved pistachio crumbs over the tarts and serve room temperature of cold (both are good!).
P.S: I had a little bit of extra frangipane filling left over which I baked in a grated ramekin with 1 fig cut in half lengthwise for the same amount of time as the tarts. That was delicious as well!


Comments