Frozen Vanilla Yogurt with Berries


I generally eat dark chocolate for dessert every night. Or if I've been baking lately, that's what I'll have for dessert. But these days, when the day temperatures run in high 80s or mid 90s, all I want on warm summer nights are cold treats. I've been stocking my fridge with ice cream the past month or so. With the amount of cream and sugar I'm consuming, I've been feeling a little bit guilty about the not-excellent dessert choices I've been making lately. So I decided to look into frozen yogurt instead.
Ice cream is well and good for every once in a while but for something I'm having every night, I do need to cut down on the unhealthy ingredients. With yogurt, I get extra protein without an excess amount of calories. Plus, with the amount of vanilla and berries in this frozen treat, it beats the pants off of even some of my favorite ice creams. So it's a win-win situation!

Recipe adapted from Williams Sonoma
Makes 12 servings

Ingredients:
150 gm sugar (divided use)
1 quart/32 oz/900 gm Whole Milk Yogurt (like Straus)
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp vanilla extract
6 oz mixed raspberries and blueberries


Procedure:
Weigh out your sugar and take out 2 tbsp and set aside. In a large freezable bowl (that you'll freeze the yogurt treat in) whisk the yogurt with the sugar, maple syrup and vanilla extract till very well combined. Cover and set aside in the fridge for a few hours or overnight for the sugar to melt completely and flavors to meld. Meanwhile, crush the berries with the reserved sugar till very well crushed and all berries have broken down. The raspberries will break down easily but the blueberries will need extra effort from your part. Set this berry mix aside in fridge. Churn the yogurt mixture in your ice cream according to manufacturer's instructions till frozen. Layer half of the yogurt mix in the bowl and pour half the berry mix on top. using a form swirl it in using figure 8 pattern. Layer the rest the same way. Smooth the top of the yogurt and freeze. Before serving/scooping, thaw at room temp for 5-10 minutes so it's not frozen solid.

Comments

  1. Can't wait until fresh summer berries are in season in a few months. Definitely going to make this. Love how easy it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment