Stir Fried Okra


The only two vegetables I ate as a kid were tomatoes and okra. I absolutely loathed potatoes and would give all my potatoes to my brother or my mom. My mom tried her best to cook what I'd eat as a kid, but I have to say I did not make it an easy task for her. Even with okra and tomatoes, they needed to be cooked just right. The okra needed to be almost charred and the tomatoes needed to be cooked down to almost a jam for me to even try it.
Surprisingly enough, I turned out ok as an adult. More than ok actually, since I'm a pretty adventurous eater now and will eat almost anything.
This okra recipe is very similar to what I grew up eating. Although my mom would spice it slightly differently, I actually prefer the spicing of this recipe more (shh, don't tell my mom!). Not tossing the okra frequently as it cooks makes sure to give the vegetable a nice crust and char. Cooking it on higher heat like this also ensures that all the gummy-ness is cooked out right at the start. This way of cooking really highlights the vegetable and will convert even the staunchest of okra haters. Try it and see!

Recipe adapted from Indian-Dish, Priya Krishna
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp ajwain seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 serrano chilis, chopped
1 lb okra, top trimmed and body sliced into 1/2" pieces
1 tbsp ground coriander powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp amchur (dry mango) powder

Procedure:
Heat oil in a wide 12 inch pan on medium high and once hot, add the ajwain seeds and cook for about a minute till golden brown. Add the turmeric ad chilis and mix it in. Immediately add okra, coriander and fennel seeds and mix through and lower the heat to medium. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Toss the okra well and cook undisturbed for another 5 minutes with the charred parts of the okra facing up. Toss again and add salt and cook for a further 5 minutes tossing frequently. Add amchur and mix it in and take it off heat. Serve with roti/naan or with rice and dal.


Comments

  1. I can't believe you hated potatoes as a kid. I thought every kid couldn't get enough of potatoes. I know that I was -- and still am -- addicted to them. Though, this lovely okra recipe definitely gives potatoes a run for their money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment