Buttermilk Soup with Onion-Chickpea Fritters (AKA Indian Kadhi with Pakoda)


I'm really enjoying exploring the cuisine of my homeland. I spent a couple of years cooking a lot of traditional Indian food a while ago but then got busy with work and life and switched to cooking that didn't require a lot of ingredient prepping (for the most part). I've recently had some life changes that's given me a lot of time at home to cook and I'm enjoying cooking and eating elaborate Indian & Indian subcontinent food and exploring new techniques/recipes I'm unfamiliar with. I'm pretty sure my recent trip to India also has a lot to do with my current fascination with its food. Indian cuisine is one of my favorite cuisines to eat, in close competition with middle eastern. 


My mom used to make kadhi for the family when I was growing up. It's a North Indian buttermilk based curry that is served with lentil fritters. It's creamy, crispy, tangy, savory and hot all at the same time. It can be enjoyed with Indian flatbreads or eaten plain as a soup with maybe some rice crackers.  If I'd been organized enough, I would have attempted naan. Maybe one day soon.


Recipe Adapted from My Two Souths by Asha Gomez
Serves 4-6

Fritters:
1 cup chickpea flour
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
3/4 tsp salt
2 large yellow onion, halved and sliced thinly
2 tbsp water
Oil, for frying

Buttermilk Base:
4 cups buttermilk
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chickpea flour
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 yellow onion, quartered and sliced thinly
3 serrano peppers, sliced vertically into sixths


Instructions:
In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, cayenne, turmeric, garam masala & salt. Add the onions and toss together till well combined. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. The onions will exude water and moisten the dough. Add the two tbsp water and mix it in thoroughly. Heat oil to 325 F for frying in a wide saucepan. The oil needs to be about 2 inches height for good frying. Drop tbsps of batter and fry for about 2 minutes on each side till golden brown. Drain on a paper towels lined plate. Set aside.
In another medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk with cayenne, turmeric, garam masala, salt and 
1/2 cup chickpea flour till well mixed and no lumps remain. Heat oil in another saucepan on medium heat and add cumin seeds and ginger. Once the ginger starts crisping up a little, add the garlic and fry till a light brown. Add the sliced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes till browned. Add the buttermilk base slowly while constantly stirring. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened 5-7 minutes. Serve hot with onion fritters and maybe rice crackers. The rice crackers will sizzle when you drop them in hot soup as you eat. It's kinda fun!

Comments